About GS1 Canada
GS1 has 114 member organizations around the world
Over 1.5 million companies around the world use GS1 standards
Over 100 million products around the world carry GS1 barcodes
More than 6 billion GS1 barcodes are scanned every day
GS1 believes in the power of standards to transform the way we work and live
GS1 is a neutral, not-for-profit association that develops and maintains global standards for efficient business communication.
GS1 standards improve the efficiency, safety, security, sustainability and visibility of value chains across physical and digital channels in 25 sectors.
Our scale and reach help ensure that GS1 standards create a common language that supports systems and processes across the globe.
In Canada, through our unique community management role, we collaborate with business leaders, sector boards, advisory councils and industry work groups to develop standards, guidelines and non-proprietary business solutions. Partnering with industry, we provide education and implementation support to subscribers of all sizes across multiple sectors.
When directed by industry, GS1 Canada develops Industry Managed Solutions to address specific sector-wide, non-competitive business process issues, designed to enable organizations of all sizes to meet Canadian trading and regulatory requirements.
GS1 Canada is a global leader in delivering the highest quality, perpetually cleansed and updated bilingual product content, becoming the one true source of data excellence for Canadian industry.
GS1 Canada's Roles
To learn more about Standards, visit our Standards page.
- GS1 Canada’s primary role is the development of global standards that create a common foundation for business by uniquely identifying, accurately capturing, and automatically sharing vital information about products, locations and assets
- Global standards level the playing field for business of all scale and are used to enhance business processes across the value chain
- We develop global standards in partnership with the industry experts and business teams who use them in their work.
- GS1 Canada is responsible to represent the requirements of Canadian industry at the global level with global standards-setting bodies.
- Our participation in the Global Standards Management Process (GSMP) ensures that global standards meet Canadian trading partner and regulatory requirements
- GS1 Canada is led by Industry with five Industry Sector Boards representing Grocery, Foodservice, General Merchandise and Hardlines, Pharmacy and Healthcare. These boards use a community decision making process to determine GS1 Canada’s priorities
- GS1 Canada brings together representatives from all points along the value chain to identify common business process issues, determine global standards and develop industry solutions that meet the needs of subscribers of all sizes
- We manage global and local strategic partnerships with trade associations, global standards bodies and Provincial and Federal Government departments
- Built by industry for industry, our community management role guides us in the creation of Industry Managed Solutions
- We collaborate with industry through active workgroups composed of subject matter experts, manufacturers, distributors, transporters, retailers, healthcare providers, foodservice operators, technology solution providers and trade associations
Want to get involved? For more information on how to join one of our workgroups, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These groups consist of:
- 5 Industry Sector Boards
- Global & Local Strategic Partnerships
- Association & Government Relations
- 11 Industry Workgroups
Want to get involved? For more information on how to join one of our sector workgroups, please email us at email@example.com
- In collaboration with subscribers, workgroups and sector boards, our Global Standards and Industry Relations team provide education support during the community management, standards development and implementation processes.
- We provide practical information and tools that guide the integration of global standards and best practices into business processes.
- The Learning Zone provides 24/7 access to online training programs for all standards, sectors and industry managed solutions.
- GS1 Canada hosts and participates in industry events and webinars and offers professional consulting services to custom build training programs that enable subscribers to implement standards into their business processes.
Visit the GS1 Canada Learning Zone
- GS1 Canada is committed to helping Canadian industry succeed in an increasingly competitive eCommerce driven marketplace by using global standards to increase efficiency, safety, security and sustainability.
- Directed by industry, GS1 Canada solves non-competitive business process issues for organizations of all scale through the delivery of Industry Managed Solutions, attribute guides, standards support and other means.
- The required content for each of our solutions was developed and standardized in collaboration with Canadian business leaders and subject matter experts on a non-proprietary basis
- To achieve the highest standard of data excellence, we continually enhance our solutions to include value-added tools such as GTIN discrepancy reporting, category audits and system validations
- Our solutions contain flexible content capture, loading and sharing options and value-added features, meeting the demand for increased visibility and data excellence for all subscribers
- We enable data providers to maximize operational efficiency as content is shared with multiple trading partners at the same time from a single source of truth through our one-to-many process.
- As a neutral, not-for-profit association, our non-proprietary solutions are developed on a cost-recovery basis, enabling subscribers to meet Canadian trading requirements at the lowest possible cost to industry
View our Industry Managed Solutions