Product Certification - Nutritional Content
As consumers demand more and more information about the products they purchase and consume, trading partners
are looking to meet their needs by leveraging rich nutritional data and images to help inform product
selection for health and wellness programs and menu planning.
Product Certification helps brand owners ensure that their trading partners have access to certified
nutritional content that is 100% accurate and complete.
The rigour of the certification process delivers nutritional content that can be relied on to fuel
nutrition-related business processes while protecting brand integrity, safeguarding against reputational harm
and protecting the health and wellbeing of Canadian consumers.
Product Certification goes beyond the label, enabling brand owners to highlight nutritional aspects of their
products that may not be included in standard Nutrition Facts Tables and enabling trading partners to easily
identify products that meet changing consumer needs.
Product Certification delivers:
- Support for retail food products that have complex nutritional panels captured through the GS1 Canada Content Capture
- Dual Nutrition Facts Tables
- Aggregate Nutrition Facts Tables
- Multiple Nutrition Facts Tables
- The ability to add supplemental nutritional information with detail that goes far beyond what can
typically fit on a label, including:
- Detailed food ingredients
- Detailed allergen information, not only for Health Canada’s ten priority allergens but also
detailed gluten sources, specific tree nut sources and any other allergen sources recognized by Health
- Certification content claims (including organic, kosher or halal claims)
- Advanced nutritional content claims including “non-GMO”, “free from”,
“rich in” and “low in”
- Ability to certify eCommerce and pharmaceutical content at no extra certification cost. Find out how to register for additional content
How to Get Access to Product Certification
To certify nutritional content in Product Certification, you will need to register for the ECCnet Nutritional
If you are a manufacturer, brand owner or other data provider, registering for this
solution will enable you to.
- Certify your content through the Product Certification tool
- View, download and share your nutritional content with trading partners
- Register for the SmartLabel™ Extract tool, enabling
you to download extracts of your certified content already optimized for conversion into SmartLabel™
If you are a retailer or other data recipient, registering for this solution will
enable you to.
- View and download nutritional content from your trading partners through Product Certification.
If you have already registered to Product Certification through either the eCommerce or Pharmaceutical
Content solutions, there are no additional costs to certify your Nutritional content. This does not include
any associated costs for content capture or image maintenance fees.
How to Register for ECCnet Nutritional Content
- Have your GS1 Canada Administrator set you up as a Product Certification Administrator in myGS1. They will
need to add you to ECCnet ProSYNC, make you a Super-User and then add the Product Certification
Administrator – Nutritional role to your ProSYNC profile.
- You will receive a confirmation email containing further instructions, including a link to the
registration form. If you are not already on myGS1, you will also receive an email with instructions on how
to set up your profile.
- Complete the online form. You will receive an email notification that Product Certification as been added
to the tools available to you in myGS1.
If you did not receive or have lost the link to the registration form, click the applicable link below. Only
Product Certification Administrators will be able to complete the process.