When a recall strikes, you need to inform your trading partners – and fast.
GS1 Canada’s Recall tool is a web-based notification solution to quickly create and distribute product recall notifications and increase the speed of getting recalled products removed from the supply chain.
Built by risk management industry experts, this recall notification service leverages global standards that enable visibility and traceability of a product, which are critical during a recall.
Recall allows data providers (such as manufacturers, brand owners and distributors) and data recipients (such as retailers, foodservice operators, healthcare providers and other end users) to exchange information easily during recalls through acknowledgment receipts, 'Returned Product' reports and notes.
Recall is available to three sectors, with attributes tailored to each.
- Recall Alert: standard notification templates aligned with Canadian regulations and trading partner requirements
- Food and Beverage
- General Merchandise
- Quickly upload critical product information and images directly from GS1 Canada’s ECCnet New Item Setup and ECCnet Marketing Content solutions to enable accurate product identification and removal
- GS1 Canada’s Recall guides you through the product information to include, reducing the risk of important product details being omitted
- Use Recall to provide optional content and instructions such as return and reimbursement instructions
- Access the solution 24/7 – any time a recall strikes
- See a history of the recall activity from all trading partners, including how many recalls you have received in total and the amount of recalled product you’ve had on hand for each recall
- Access to all supplementary information, such as product images
- Acknowledge and send read receipts to brand owners/manufacturers
- Report back to brand owner the number of products being recalled from your organization
- Ability to exchange notes, question or comments to the brand owner within the open text field found in Recall, including return instructions and reimbursement details
Subscribing to GS1 Canada’s Recall solution is an important first step towards protecting your organization in the event of a recall. The next step for recall initiators is to become Recall Ready to ensure your organization is ready to react immediately when a recall strikes.
How to become Recall Ready
- Register two or more users in your organization: an initiator, who opens new recall notifications and an approver, who reviews all notifications for accuracy
- Become a recall expert: GS1 Canada has global, best-in-class bilingual training modules. Visit our Learning Zone and test your Recall knowledge. Score 90% or more on our online assessment to receive your Certificate of Recall Course Completion. Engage with our practical training modules until you have the knowledge you need.
- Complete a minimum of one Mock Recall per year: Mock Recall simulates a real-life product recall step-by-step. You can use GS1 Canada as the recipient of Mock Recalls. Mock recalls must be completed annually, as required by Hazard Control and Analysis Control Point (HACCP) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
In the example above, the recall initiator uses Recall to initiate a product recall notification. The receiver of this notification can opt to use the Internal Locations Distribution premium feature to share the notification with their warehouses, distribution centres and stores.
All recall notification recipients have the duty to identify the number of products removed, providing visibility across the entire supply chain.
Within Recall, the recall receiver knows how many of the affected products have been identified and removed by its internal locations and the recall initiator knows how many have been identified and removed by all of its trading partners. The recall initiator can then report this information to Health Canada.